About our Book Club

I am an avid reader who is part of a book club of 12 women who get together once a month at each others homes to discuss various books. We always have delicious food & wine and fabulous discussions! If you love to read then please take some time to peruse some of our book reviews, become a follower, add comments, suggestions or ratings and PLEASE share this blog with your friends too!

Feb 25, 2011

Room by Emma Donoghue

This month our book was, Room by Emma Donoghue.
I’m a little torn as to how much I should reveal about the book in this review because we all agreed that the best way to read this story is to just dive in blindly without too much background about the plot. Therefore, I will remain mysterious.

I think it’s important to point out that 98% of us couldn’t put the book down once we started it…we won’t go into details about the other 2% except to say that they eventually came around!
The reason for the hesitation from the 2% group is that this book’s story is a chilling combination of both unspeakable horror and precious innocence. One minute you have chills running down your spine and the next you are crying tears from heartbreak.
There is a part in the middle of the book, (once again, I won’t reveal a thing), where many of us had real heart palpitations!

We all agreed that this was one of the most unique stories we’ve read in a long time. This book has been #1 in the UK and Australia for awhile now and is up for many literary awards. It’s only recently come to the USA and has been on the LA Times Bestseller list for a few weeks now.

To say that we highly recommend this book is an understatement. Please go out and get Room as soon as possible and read it…you won’t regret it, but please be warned that it may be a few weeks before you will want to pick up another book. It sticks to your soul for a long while.

1 comment: